Saturday, October 25, 2008

The people on the bus go...




Betsy and I are both using public transportation this semester to get to school, work, etc. I love it (most of the time) and I think Betsy does too. You do have some strange experiences though......

Abby's Bus Experiences:
1. A woman got on the bus, and since most of the seats were filled she stood near me and held onto the overhead bar. When she grabbed onto the bar all I heard was clink-clink-clink-clink-clink. When I looked up I expected to see a woman with a robotic hand...but no, it was her 4-inch (at least), all-natural fingernails. Unreal.

2. Some guy that I had never sat next to or spoken to but who was usually on my bus was getting off, but first he walked back to where I was sitting, looked me in the eye, and said "I like you because you're funny". Then he got off. It was really strange. The next time he was on my bus, we had a pretty awkward conversation in which he asked me a)if he was wearing too much cologne (apparently I was making a face), b) what my favorite cereal is, and c)if I liked gravy. I've been avoiding him since then...you know...wearing sunglasses, putting my hoodie on, pretending to sleep. Tricks of the trade...

Betsy's Bus Experiences:
1. A woman asked me if I was blind, I guess because I wear the same sunglasses every day and they're rather dark. (My dad mentioned that when she asked me "Are you blind" I should have answered "No, but I'm deaf." Too bad I didn't think of it at the time!)

2. The other day when I got on the bus, this kind of crazy looking woman with coke-bottle glasses stared at me for a while, but she stopped after a few minutes. She put on head phones and started singing to herself and dancing crazily in her seat. A woman she knew got on the bus a few stops later and sat next to her. Ms. Coke-Bottle Glasses opened up her bag and pulled out some M&M's, some hoho's, and a plastic case with four caramel apples. She gave her friend the first two items, then, displaying the apples, she whispered audibly to her companion that she was thinking of giving one to me because I "looked sweet." A little embarrassed, I pretended not to notice and just stared out the window; however, a few minutes later, the woman caught my attention and handed me one of the caramel apples, not giving me the chance to say no, so I simply said "thank you" and carried a caramel apple all the way home. . .

No comments: