Monday, November 9, 2009

Hi, my name is Betsy, and I'm addicted to Marketplace.

Throughout the semester, my Economics professor has repeatedly encouraged my class to listen to Marketplace, a radio show put on by American Public Media that focuses on topics of economics and business. Before the occurrence of recent events, when Dr. Gillette mentioned the show, I would simply mentally roll my eyes and then forget about his advice as soon as a walked out of the classroom door; however, one day, in a fit of boredom and procrastination, I figure I would check it out. And now I can't stop.

There is a variety of shows to listen to (or watch!), ranging from sixty seconds to fifty minutes in length. The 10-minute morning report comes out daily at 6:30, so I listen to that while drinking my coffee and waking up. I usually try to catch the longer show sometime in the afternoon. One of my favorite tidbits is Marketplace Minute, a weekly video publication that sums up the week's business and economics news in a 60-second poem. Here is the most recent update:

Marketplace Minute With Bill Radke 11/06 from Marketplace on Vimeo.


I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that Marketplace provides me with a guilt-free means of procrastinating; seeing as a teacher told me I should listen to it, I can do that instead of other homework, right?